View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th October 2008
Arp Constable

What's so surprising anemos? The Windows socket api was modeled on the sockets api from BSD, there are differences but it's /close enough/ in many ways.

You include winsock.h instead of a mish mash of headers, which is nice imho. s/errno/WSAGetLastError()/g and a few other related pains on error handling... but livable. The windows socket api and 'spawn.*()' family of functions are probably the high points of working with a windows machine. Sockets programming is basically sockets programming, but it's only part of what you can do on a unix box, the rest... well that's when it can really become a royal pain in the keester to port an app to windows IMHO, and still have fun in the process.

----

The 2nd edition of 'Advanced programming in the UNIX environment' is on amazon for about $50-$65 between used and new at the moment, but the list price is $80 !!! You can get a look at the table of contents and some previews here. This book looks like it's worth even $150 if you ask me. Also if you're not prepared to use manual pages, google, standards documents, and existing programs instead of buying this sucker, I think anyone is going to really want this book if they are learning to write programs on a unix box in C.

Dang... now I wish I had it on my bookshelf, it would be a time saver lol.

Looking at the foreward, it sounds like most of the changes are basically updates to do with the changing times, e.g. new(er) posix/sus, c99, also sounds like the 2nd edition might be a good idea if you work as a programmer (I don't, and I'm a cheap bastard too), dealing with linux or *bsd systems a lot. But the 1st edition would probably be fine for many people, if they can't or won't pay for the 2nd edition.

If I had the cash to go spending on programming books, I'd deffo nab most of these books, then by a larger bookshelf....

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.