View Single Post
Old 8th January 2010
Port Guard

Question Strange things are happening

Re: speedy kernel opinions

I just don't like loading stuff on my computer that I don't need. Whether or not it becomes faster by doing so, I wouldn't really know. I am not especially focused on: faster, better, more, etc. The point is that I like to control and understand what I'm doing and I like my own custom environment.

Re: autism

Actually it should be: Asperger's Syndrome (which is basically the same as: classical autism combined with a high IQ, although I am not particularly concerned about IQs because one can not directly measure people's actual intelligence and then express it using exact numbers). Besides, IQ is no measure at all for how well one performs in real life society and apart form that, there are many types of "IQ". Anyway ...

Re: learning and wireless networking

As soon as I have everything working the way it should (according to myself) I will post diff's, etc. Strange things still happen for now:

With my newly built kernel in place I started working on the issue of wireless networking using the instructions in the FreeBSD handbook.

Quote:
wpa_supplicant[1171]: Failed to initialize driver interface
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=5 eloop_data=0x28407140 user_data=0x2840e040 handler=0x8069f40
/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant: WARNING: failed to start wpa_supplicant
Starting Network: lo0 ath0.
ath0: ... status: no carrier
As soon as I entered this:

Code:
# ifconfig ath0 up scan
... my laptop completely locked up and the keyboard and mouse completely froze so I had to perform a hard shutdown. After that my system did not come up again as before and it hung during the boot process at exactly the same spot where it used to hang when my kernel wasn't booting correctly at all. Very strange.

I had to enter:

Code:
# unload kernel
# boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel
in order to restore my custom built kernel and that worked.

I looked at /var/messages/log and noticed that it still doesn't display this:

Quote:
usbus3: 480Mbps High Speed USB v2.0
... although GENERIC does, by the way!