View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzer View Post
Interesting, thanks. So it's not a matter of examining some log files and twiddling some values in a configuration file...
I don't know if there is a log file that would show anything when your interface "shuts down" but you might find a report in /var/log/messages, which is a log of the system console. But when your system enters the "completely freeze" state, I doubt anything is logged during those occurrences. There is the kernel debugger ddb(4), but that may or may not be able to function during the event. Even if it does, would you have the interest in using it to debug the problem?
Quote:
I kind of expected basic network functionality to work well by now.
It's been working fine for me for the 13 years I've been using the OS. Have I had problems with OpenBSD systems? Of course. Have there been software problems? Yes. Have there been hardware problems? Yes.

From the information posted, I can't tell you why you're having the problem/problems. It could be the OS. It could be something you've provisioned. It could be your hardware -- even a network cable could be the root cause.

If you switched to an OS that you dislike less, would it suck less for you? You'll have to make the switch to know for sure.

Last edited by jggimi; 15th July 2017 at 04:42 AM. Reason: there may be multiple problems