View Single Post
Old 16th April 2011
Shell Scout

PCC claims to be working towards C99 compliance. I wonder if this means that after a switch, the BSDs would be more likely to use C99 features. Currently OpenBSD devs have to be careful that their code compiles on three different versions of GCC (2.x, 3.x, 4.x)… of course, I don’t know that much about C99 and what new features might actually be useful instead of just “new shiny.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
I used groff with .me macros for an adult ed creative writing course this year. I'm debating going over to LaTeX on the theory it should have more advanced text spacing algorithms and hyphenate less. But I probably won't have more need for word processing since this course taught me most convincingly that I can't write for dog. "It was a dark and stormy night..."

Though one thing I'll say for nroff/groff/whatever over LaTeX is it doesn't barf all this crazy output at you every time you run it.
I agree with Oko—troff is quite nice (I prefer it to TeX because the syntax gives me less RSI ) but it is worth doing LaTeX simply due to network effect. As an EE undergrad, I see that undergrads use Word, profs and grad students use LaTeX, and the one prof who knows about troff stopped using it 20 years ago. Since more people use TeX in general, you are more likely to find useful macros for it (e.g., I have had trouble using troff for Karnaugh maps and other things).