View Single Post
Old 26th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
I'm considering buying a notebook, probably a thinkpad or Dell.
I assume you wan 14"?

Generally the size I can recommend are 12-15"

Quote:
Dell is cheaper, but thinkpads are well know for their sturdy and solid design, how is this with Dell laptops?
Same as ThinkPads they have magnezium case so you can drop them without a fear. Dell Latitude have better keyboard, because left CTRL i fucked up in all ThinkPads with the FN key.

Other thing that that I liked on my D630 comparing to ThinkPad is batteries. The 9-cell battery goes out of the fron of the Dells giving nice pad for hands while ThinkPad one goes out in the back without any regular shape.

ThinkPads and Dells both have ModularBays, by default DVDRW is put there, but you can put there an additional battert and this is when Dell is better. In ThinkPad you can put at most 3-cell 2700mHa battery, but in Dell you can put there almost two times more which is 6-cell 4320mHa and that makes a difference.

Beyond that I do not see other differences then design.

So the difference is keyboard layout (Dell) and better batteries (Dell) ... and proce (Dell).

Quote:
I don't want a ``throw-away notebook'' like the crap Acer or Toshiba sells, use them for two years and they break, I want something that lasts, and survives that occasional stupid idiot pushing my notebook off the table, or stepping on it, or ...
... or occasional run by car: http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9EBEjE6-Ws

There are many videos at YT about many models of ThinkPads and Dell, look at them.

Quote:
I would not call this good, my old Geforce 5200 FX card gives me ~2500FPS.
My desktop X3000 does 1400fps @ 2.4GHz CPU while current 3100 goes even fuether with 1800fps with 1.86GHz CPU with much less power consumption, the current Intel Q35 I have draws 5.5W at idle, I doubt that fx5200 will beat that. But we all know that Intel GFX cards are not designed for performance, but for small power consumption. With X3100 in my Dell D630 I get about 8:40 time with 9-cell + 6-cell batteries.

Quote:
As a sidenote, you can get some Dell notebooks (Including the 630) with nVidia cards, IMO this is worth it because the nVidia drivers are not only a lot faster but also support extra features like TwinView etc.
Yeah, get the Quadro NVS 140M because 135M and 130M and even newest 160M which is even slower then 135M are too handicaped, 140M is the only one that has both has 16 shaders with 128bit memory.

Quote:
Of course, this is not an option if you're anti-blob.
I do not care if its blow or not as long as it wokrs, I have had nVidia cards for quite long time, fx5900, mx200, 7300GT, and I must say that nVidia drivers is only a shit. With Xorg nv/vesa driver I got 60+ days of uptime on my workstation without any problem (I just do not turn that box off, its not matter of havinf longer uptime), with nVidia binary blob I always had random crashes and it blocked the IRQ of my sound card.

The other thing is support, X3100 has support everywhere, BSDs, Mac OS X, Solaris, ... everything, but with nVidia cards it will take more "fun" to make them work properly and without any guarantee for stability.

For the desktop gaming I would of course get some 9600GSO or HD4670, but for laptop it is more then ok, I just do not play on my laptop other games then old Fallout or Heroes of Might and Magic

I would also consider ThinkPad T61p which comes with a lot powerfull Quadro 570M with 32 shaders, but it will draw more battery power.

The only thing about my current laptop I can not be 100% satisfied is built in speakers, while D830 has stereo speakers the D630 has mono speaker, at least I got that info from the reviews on the net.

If you seek for ultra small notebook I would consider the 12" HP 2510p with extended battery, it has X3100 DVDRW and 8+ hours with extended battery.

Generally I would get Dell or ThinkPad with HP as last choice, mostly for small notebooks then casual 14" which are less good then the first two manufacturers.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd