View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
Coffee Addict

Currently there are issues with nVidia cards using the composting features of KDE4. This is a driver issue that is being worked on by nVidia. I have found KDE4 to be simply unusable with the compositing enabled with my nVidia card. The desktop is extremely slow even for simple things like minimizing a window. With compositing turned off, things work pretty smooth.

As far as stability goes, I haven't noticed too much trouble in the short amount of time I have used it.

There is also a bug in KDE4 that won't allow you to unmount or eject CDs.

As a long-time KDE user (and fanboy), I am sticking with KDE3 for now. I have KDE4 installed for messing around with and making ports, but for my day-to-day stuff...it's KDE3. There are too many good apps that still depend on KDE3 libs anyways like amarok, k3b, and kmymoney.

I am also disappointed in the lack of configurability of the plasma panel compared to kicker. Some of the things I don't like can be resolved by third party apps like the lack of a "QuickLauncher" applet. But, I still can't get tasks to appear in 2 or more rows.