Thread: Firefox 4
View Single Post
Old 26th March 2011
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
Do you know what KMS aka kernel mode setting really is? It's about setting screen res and depth. It's more a security-thing than something relevant for graphics. Guess why the OpenBSD guys are happy about it ;-)

TTM is a memory manager for graphic cards. And GEM is the new memory manager for graphic cards, replacing TTM.

GEM: http://keithp.com/blogs/gem_update/

So I really don't know what you're referring to ...

Maybe you're talking of Gallium3D, well ... that's a different story. But it's barely usable at the moment. Using Gallium3D requires working GEM in the OS. So yes, GEM is a necessity for the (near) future.

Finally there is no such thing as GEM/TTM/KMS, there is just a need for KMS and especially GEM.
I know what they all are and I stand 100% behind my statements. KMS is needed for gallium3d, and gallium3d provides a larger number of of extensions and more capable drivers. Even without gallium3d, though, simply enabling KMS with an up-to-date version of the classic r600 drivers on Linux will provide OpenGL 2.1 support (vs 1.4, iirc, without KMS enabled) so, once again, the drivers are more capable on linux due to the presence of KMS.

Adam

EDIT: To clarify, the r600 mesa driver does report OpenGL 2.1 support in recent versions without using gallium3d. Despite this, opengl 2.1 only actually works properly when KMS is enabled.

Also GEM does not replace TTM. TTM is newer, in fact. GEM is the memory manager for intel GPUs. It is highly intel specific. TTM is the memory manager for radeon GPUs. TTM exposes the external GEM API. I'm not sure what nouveau uses.

Last edited by adamk; 26th March 2011 at 12:52 PM.