View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2010
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharris View Post
It really pissed me off. I came to FreeBSD to learn what make it tick and by right, as a Virtual Host or whatever, it should make since to act as a switch "ONLY", but somebody want to hard-sale (demote) it to be a desktop like LINUX/WINDOWS and not true BSD/UNIX. Who really knows ...

Don't get me wrong, pcBSD is great but I'm talking pure BSD as a newbee who can only guest things out.
Having access to something like X or KDE isn't a problem, they don't get in the way of the FreeBSD parts unless you use it as a crutch to avoid learning the lower level. You can also figure out what makes FreeBSD tick by cuddling up to the OS itself, that can be done over a virtual system, ssh link, or a local install doesn't matter. I suggest starting off with the boot manual page and studying how the system starts up and does its magic. Same can be done in Ubuntu, Windows, and most other systems.

Most of it is fairly typical unix stuff. Different branches in the family tree and extended cousintry have silghtly different ways of doing things: compare FreeBSD, BSD, and System V style init systems.

The problem with PC-BSD from that perspective, is if you treat managing the system like a FreeBSD system: you will create more work for yourself. Avoiding that, tends to require knowing both the FreeBSD and PC-BSD portions. You can however learn the FreeBSD side of things from PC-BSD, just be careful what you dick with and note or backup important changes.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.