View Single Post
Old 20th March 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Yes, you claimed that ACK and LLVM were unsuitable for creating system binaries. That is doubly wrong: ACK is the compiler suite for Minix3 and LLVM is the compiler for FreeBSD, among others. You know, entire operating systems.
Yes. Both compilers are NOT suitable for creating system binaries on OpenBSD.

ACK is retargetable compiler ported to very few architectures whose claim to fame include support for Pascal and Basic among other languages. Comparing Minix and OpenBSD is like comparing the airplane of Writh brothers with Boeing 787. From airspace engineering point of view Writh brothers got fluid dynamics and airodynamcis right. Still would you like to fly in their airplane to Europe?

LLVM is written in C++ (Just like GCC 4.8.2) that is pretty much where any discussion about LLVM as a system compiler for Unix-like system should end. Inspite of the fact that I use FreeBSD/FreeNAS at work I actually do not have high opinion about FreeBSD QA. If a modern file system like HAMMER 1 or 2 (when it gets written) gets ported to OpenBSD or if DragonFly BSD gets little more missing infrastructure for enterprise use I would stop using FreeBSD that very day.