Thread: PekWM
View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2013
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

Disclaimer: I've never run pekwm. Until reading your post, I'd never heard of it.
Quote:
I added "exec pekwm" to my .xinitrc and then I enter startx.
That is the correct procedure, according to the documentation at pekwm.org. You should of course remove any other window manager in your .xinitrc file, such as fluxbox; you cannot have two window managers at the same time.

The documentation states that this window manager creates files in your ~/.pekwm directory; if you do not have this directory and these configuration files it is possible that pekwm did not ever run.
Quote:
On another note I wonder if it is correct to add "/usr/local/bin/slim" to /etc/rc.conf.local in order to start that display manager?
You should use /etc/rc.d/slim to start/stop the daemon, and automate this through adding "slim" to the pkg_scripts variable in /etc/rc.conf.local, as described in rc.conf(8) and rc.d(8). The rc.conf.* files only set variables that are used by the rc(8) infrastructure. If you wanted to script startup commands -- which you would not need for this -- you would use rc.local, rather than rc.conf.local.