View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2008
New User

Default hey, help finding something plz

Hi, they sent me here since bsd forums is getting it up the butt by spammers I have a desktop computer that I dont use and a inspiron 1521 laptop with 2gb ram and a 150gb hdd that dual boots ubuntu and vista.

I dont know much about bsd, but I wanted to try a unix OS out ( I guess macOS, bsd and solaris are the most used one?).Solaris was my first choice since I guess its the more "pure unix os?" out of the three, then I looked into mac os x and I guess its hard to install it enless you have a mac or mac hardware.So for a while I said forget it and then a friend told me to try bsd because its like a "cross between linux and unix?" and he said I might be able to run it live off a usb or cd.So is there a varient of bsd that I can install on a usb or cd/dvd to run live so I dont have to install anything?Either that or I could try to install it on my external hdd but I hear thats hard to do.I just want to explore what bsd is all about and perhaps one day Ill install it(Im actually looking into buying a eee pc or something just so Ill have a alternative computer).So what are my options here?You guys are the bsd experts.