View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th August 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
Now this is a strange thing....
It is telling us that sd0 is not attached to the kernel. I recommend doing your diagnostics from the console, not from an X window, so that you will be sure to see (or not see) kernel messages as they occur, and avoid confusing yourself. Note that above, the bottom of your dmesg shows an sd0 attaching, and then being detached. Sit at the console and watch for messages as you attach your external device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
Did you manage to make them work?
The one that would still do some I/O when it felt like it had nothing on it of value, and the one that was completely dead had files which are now forever unrecoverable.
Quote:
I am a little stressed.I worry about my data.Thanx for your help though.
Disk drives have lifespans -- the manufacturers publish "mean time between failures" for their products; the numbers for an individual drive are relatively meaningless, but for people who manage large disk farms they are helpful to set expectations for the rate of failure.
Quote:
Edit: I also inserted the hd on a windows machine and says that it has to be formatted in order to use it! :S
If the MBR and its partition table has been wiped -- one of the possibilities I mentioned in my first post here -- your OSes will not be able to retrieve anything until the MBR is recovered/restored. At the moment, you have yet to prove you can read a single sector from the drive. I cannot tell you if you have lost anything at all, yet, or what recovery is possible if you have.