View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th December 2010
New User

Hi dalek,

I've been using OpenBSD for a while now, I just found this forum, so here goes my initial post.

I agree that rocket357 has a really good idea, but I think jggimi's instructions are a bit too complicated. Of course mine might be even worse... This is basically the same as jggimi, except I would let the OpenBSD installer take care of his steps 3 thru 11.

(I'm assuming you don't want to dual boot with XP, I used to do that and find it to be more of a headache than it's worth, and I'd rather not waste the drive space.)

I would do this:

1. Download install48.iso from an OpenBSD mirror such as ftp.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.8/i386/install48.iso

2. Burn install48.iso to a CD

3a. Install to the eeepc with an external USB CD drive using the install48 CD if you can, or

3b. Install to a USB flash drive (2GB+) by using any i386 box using the install48 CD
- plug in the USB flash drive
- insert install48 CD into drive
- start system, boot from the CD
- go through the standard install procedure, be careful to install OpenBSD on the flash drive, Mom won't be happy if you wipe out her XP c:\ drive with all the kids' pictures on it...

4. Prepare the USB flash drive with the OpenBSD install sets. (You could skip this part if you just want to download all the install sets again using the ftp option during install.)
- boot the OpenBSD flash drive on Mom's computer again
- login
- mount the install48 CD with something like: # mount /dev/cd0a /mnt
- copy the install sets to the USB drive: # cp -Rp /mnt/4.8 /
- now you have the install sets in the root of the USB flash drive.
(If you know your way around the command line, you could copy the install sets from CD at the the end of step 3b instead of booting the USB a second time.)

5. Use the USB flash drive with OpenBSD to install to the eeepc
- boot the eeepc off your OpenBSD flash drive
- at the "boot>" prompt type: "boot bsd.rd", this will start the installation procedure.
- do a standard install, when it asks for install media type "disk"
- when it asks if the disk is already mounted say yes
- the install sets are already in 4.8/i386/ so you can just take the default when it asks.

Hope that helps.