View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th March 2012
More noise than signal

Yes, you're asking a lot of questions.

The first one, about -nographic, I can answer. You got into trouble because the readme is describing running OpenBSD as a guest, not Windows. -nographic eliminates the virtual graphics card, and routes the first serial device I/O to the host standard input and output. Very useful for an OpenBSD guest where X would not be used ... not so helpful with your typical MS Windows installation, which isn't designed to communicate with an operator via a com port nor to typically be operated and administered headless.

The second question, about virtual memory limitations, I can also answer. You have two limiting factors: 1) you are running i386 -- in that arch, userland processes are limited to obtaining just under 1GB of virtual memory in total, and 2) qemu consumes lots on its own. This new release (1.0) consumes much much more than earlier versions.

The third question, I cannot answer only because I don't understand the problem. If you don't use -net, you will get a single "userland" network interface definition, which will have a virtual 10.x subnet and a virtual DHCP server on it. You haven't posted what "doesn't work for me" means, but the only reasons I could think of that it isn't working for you is either a missing NIC driver in your guest OS, or perhaps a conflict between the virtual 10.x subnet and a real subnet in the 10/8 address space in your private network.

The fourth question -- well, I think you need not use -usb at all. Just give the raw, phyiscal drive to the guest as either an IDE or SCSI drive, your choice. If sd0 is the drive, the device to pass to qemu would be /dev/rsd0c. You'll need to be superuser, of course.

Last edited by jggimi; 8th March 2012 at 11:54 AM.