View Single Post
Old 6th January 2009
Disgruntled desktop user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Back to your original question.
Code:
systat
should show you two separate processors and load on each of them.
I am not sure that VMWare is building on FreeBSD period. That might be
one of many stale ports which needs to be pruned. Could you please post your experience with VMWare on FreeBSD.
I tried to build it on 7.1-RELEASE-AMD64. It downloads a lot of stuff and wastes a lot of time and then gives a message that the port is not valid on AMD64.

I just installed 7.1-RELEASE-i386 and spent a few hours getting myself situated. I built vmware3 again from ports. It built ok but it does not come up. I am getting a message that says "could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory. Please make sure that the kernel module 'vmmon' is loaded."

kldstat doesn't show vmmon but I also don't know where to find it. The documentation I found isn't helpful, it's old and apparently the port maintainer doesn't give a sh$t about this port. Not sure why, since no other reasonable (production ready) virtualization is available in ports.

I have done some searching and a few people reported this problem and nobody answered them. If I can't get this to work soon I will dump my i386 install and try openSUSE next, of all things. OMG somebody help me. openSUSE is officially "supported" by VirtualBox. Maybe it will work.
BSDForums.org refugee #27
Multibooting with LILO