View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2008
Arp Constable

> (It's connected to your motherboard.)

Haha I asked for that, didn't I

I know that modern systems usually sit at ACPI state G2 as long as the power cables plugged into the socket but I never thought about the machines Wake on LAN support.

The only stuff I've seen that needs a cable is stuff that draws to much to get it from the PCI bus but this is the only system I've worked on that is "old".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Just pull the wire, it'll disconnect, it's an entirely optional feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Googol2 View Post
It is power cable. Seriously, how hard to pull the cable out mate?
When you don't know about that type of connector and used to $0/mo income paranoia is natural ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Googol2 View Post
The card looks very old too me. Investing a few bucks on a PCI gigabit NIC is not a bad idea (should be ~$10 posted)

It was free and it works well, so I ain't gonna complain about age ;-) Most NICs I've seen here start are like ~$20 to $50 and my equipment here has 100mb for the lowest common denominator. So no point in upgrading, I just spent for 3 * ral(4) cards.

I like hardware and I find it very interesting but petty cash to expand on it is a bit of a problem. I can take apart the computers I have and put them back together quite easily but I'm always careful not to damage anything !

because I usually can't afford to replace stuff lol.

Yesterday I needed to hook up a CD-ROM drive for booting Knoppix (testing). I don't have the necessary mounting parts for the new case: so I hooked it up to the secondary IDE port on the mother board, plugged it into the PSU, and sandwiched the drive on top of the PSU between the case and the lid to keep it from falling.

My brain said "bad idea but best idea for now" but it got the job done. The cd-rom drive however is a luxury because the machine only needs a floppy and the HDDs ;-)

--
about the machine, if anyone is interested in her.

The computers old as dirt by todays hardware but she was a free one. When the husband of one of our clients heard that Ma wouldn't let me repartition our (then only) computer to install FreeBSD on for learning. He gave me one of the ones waiting to be disposed off by his wifes organization. Along with the 19" Nokia I'm using as a primary monitor ;-)

He was an IT guy so he got tapped when his other half needed computer work done lol.

My guess is that the box is an 1998-1998 office PC, when I got it the machine had XP Pro and Quicken, QuickBooks, or some other Q* named accounting app.

The TEAC CD-ROM drive I pulled out of her yesterday says the drive was manufactured June 1999 and it's running off PC100 for the RAM, so close enough I guess.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.