View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2009
New User

Default OpenBSD 4.6 Install Complete, cannot ping

I finished an installation of 4.6 on a Dell PowerEdge R410 that has two NICs. The one is a Broadcom BCM5716 that was apparently just added to the bnx driver for this release and the other is a 4-port card made by Intel model 82575 that is also apparently just added to the em drivers in 4.6.

Anyway, once I am done the install I cannot ping anything. I have set up em0 on a simple subnet of 10.0.0.0/24 with an IP address of 10.0.0.1 and plugged into a switch. When I plug my laptop into the switch with an IP of 10.0.0.2 I cannot ping the R410. If I plug my other laptop in on the switch with an IP of 10.0.0.3 I can ping between the laptops but not to or from the server. I have changed ports on both the switch and the R410 and also changed ethernet cords to no avail. I have verified my subnet masks are correct as well and even reinstalled OpenBSD 4.6 just in case the drivers got corrupted during the install.

Also, I have changed subnets to see if there was something strange in that regard and had no luck there either. I have disabled pf to ensure nothing was getting blocked. I have also tried both NIC cards and they both have the exact same problem. I have also mirrored this installation in VMWare and it works fine so it makes me think there are issues with both the bnx and em drivers for these two network cards.

From the R410 I can ping the address assigned to em0 but when I attempt to ping my laptop on the same subnet I get the message:

ping: sendto: Host is Down

I just don't get it. This is such a basic set up as I am trying to ping a device on the exact same subnet and cannot do it. I am stumped. If anyone could help it would be appreciated.