View Single Post
Old 18th May 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
I suspect you're using the nano text editor or similar rather than vi(1)? Either that or some GUI based text editor perhaps?
I think this completely explains the trouble I was having in the thread in OpenBSD General, "Shutdown issue in 6.5". I was using nano.

I saved copies of some of the rc.conf.local files I made before and after putting my user into the operator group.

In one rc.conf.local, "pkg_scripts=messagebus" was the last line with no newline at the end. That explains the time I was not able to shutdown from Xfce after adding my user to the operator group.

In another rc.conf.local, "xenodm_flags=" was the last line with no newline at the end. That explains the time the xenodm login window was no longer launching.

I actually conscientiously (ha!) removed the newline in some of the rc.conf.local files that I made.

hitest, jggimi, cynwulf - your discussion here helped me learn something useful. Thanks. And like hitest, it may be time for me to use vi enough to actually learn it, even if I now better know how to use nano.

TKS