View Single Post
Old 14th May 2013
Port Guard

QUOTE=Oko..... OpenBSD has second to none support for udf file system (it is better than Windows support). You can read cvs commits. Having a great audio server in the base is also a big + for OpenBSD.

Yes I agree. For a Desktop, music is a top priority for many and OpenBSD does it very well. This needs to be emphasized. The Raid and NFS toys are so useful and easy to use for music/video lovers -- again, the desktop becomes more fun and economical with an audio server imo

I do use FreeBSD on certain hardware where OpenBSD is not ported -- i.e., on my little 35$ Rpi -- but everywhere else I find the documentation of OpenBSD to be more helpful. There's nothing like a clean OpenBSD install ... a few dot-files added in ~/ and some tweaks to a few things in /etc and some rc.conf.local flags set; it is very beautiful in its simplicity of layout and the logic of its configuration. I know it is similar to FreeBSD, but its subtle differences do make a "significant" difference over an extended period of use. Familiarity can breed strong affection. Not all things loved are old, though, as the new dhclient in OpenBSD is fantastic for wireless laptop use, which is important to many for both portable 'desktops' and others, too. SMTP is another but perhaps not that useful for a desktop user.

Last edited by thomasw_; 14th May 2013 at 05:36 AM.