View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
Ahhh how hard is it to just ignore the boot up text!! That's insane!! If one doesn't know what the test is about then just leave it there...
I know it sound silly to us. But believe me for some ppl it IS hard. And to make things worse unlike our beloved OS´s we can´t just debug and mod ppl´s behavior because we don´t have the sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
Actually, I think more people like us ARE needed there. That's why I have been hanging there (in the server forum) for quite a while now. When I need my sanity back I come here.

I stay there precisely because there is tons of bad advice being given there and I wanted to try to balance it, and throw in some accurate information. I have actually had arguments over there over things that are widely accepted as fact. Sadly, Ubuntu is becoming like a religion to some, and the n00bs think they can instantly be web developers and admins, and then do things like run a professional web site on a dynamic DNS provider and argue with me that there is nothing wrong with that. Some days, it's really a challenge but I do it mainly to help people and keep my Linux skills up. I have 108 thank yous so far so I must be doing something right

Some of you know I had started a thread here on the striking changes in the Linux community. I don't think it's a good thing, and I see the same thing starting to happen in the BSDs. I don't think *BSD was intended for desktop use, at least not with a GUI. If you want to do it, yeah that's fine but it's *purpose* is to run servers (which it does VERY well). I dunno, when I come here and see n00bs asking if BSD supports their wireless card I have to think they just don't get it. </rant off>

-Tim
I´m also thinking about getting an account there. Just to get some sanity across.

Also, an update. Installed BSD, but had to roll back to Sabayon x86 because the win98 driver (only one that works with this POS rtl8187b internal card) doesn´t seem to work in ndisulator (dunno why) and I need wifi (since my ISP gave us a wifi-only DSL modem). Ohh well at least it´s gentoo based, so I won´t be missing the ports system as badly.
BTW: I´m planning to resurrect an old Mac PPC that I´m gonna use to do my torrenting and background downloads. I´m gonna stick FreeBSD on it (it´s a fairly old Mac so compatibility isn´t going to be an issue).