View Single Post
Old 27th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I just installed Midori 0.1.0 and Dillo 2.0 - I will be testing them between now and the first of the year.

Initial thoughts:

Dillo loads blazingly fast - within the blink of an eye. Midori takes longer to load - about half a second. Firefox takes anywhere from 1-4 seconds to load (longer on loading the first time after bootup) - just for comparison.

Dillo still has no support for JavaScript or HTTPS - big drawbacks for usage. It also doesn't render some pages correctly (i.e., FreeBSD and NetBSD homepages) - I think CSS still isn't fully implemented - and many others are rendered sub-optimally (i.e., Google). Images don't always display (even when IMG ON is selected).

Midori renders pages nicely - it appears to support both JavaScript and HTTPS. Images appear as they should. One bad thing about Midori's UI - no HOME button.

Midori is half the size of Dillo (~260K vs. ~540K) - but Midori relies on libraries that take up more space (at least on Slackware, where I'm testing them). I will be interested in comparing memory usage between the two.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)