Thread: amd64 or x86?
View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Personally unless you have like 5+++ GB of system memory I doubt you are missing out on much using the i386 one instead of the amd64. That's just my opinion of things !!!

Even if you could run an AMD64 kernel on an i386 Userland it probably is not a good idea: FreeBSD == complete OS.
1) Try updating your Laptop bios to the latest
2) Try to configure your BIOS setup to any compatible/safe option if there is available
3) Your next move is to install FreeBSD 7 amd64 STABLE or FreeBSD 8 if you are brave enough..

Edit: If you have NVIDIA graphics chipset, then your only choice is 32bit due to the lack of 64bit drivers..

@TerryP
I disagree with the state that there is not any performance gain by using amd64 with less that 4G of ram. Of course , the more memory you add, amd64 processor family expands their capabilities, but there is always a performance gain of 5-10% at worst and all the amd64-specific registers are activated .

I was running FreeBSD 7 on i386 mode on my Acer aspire 1501 and when I moved on amd64 version I show noticeable performance improvement.

Last edited by harisman; 21st May 2008 at 06:29 PM.