Thread: amd64 or x86?
View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
If you have 4Gb, you will miss almost 1G ;-) So it fits up to 3G.
Eh, good point I forgot about that :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harisman View Post
@TerryP
I disagree with the state that there is not any performance gain by using amd64 with less that 4G of ram. Of course , the more memory you add, amd64 processor family expands their capabilities, but there is always a performance gain of 5-10% at worst and all the amd64-specific registers are activated .
I didn't say there was _no_ performance gain I said I didn't think it was worth while.

What I really should have written with that comment was that in my humble opinion, without the mother load of addressable memory and the performance benefit from sheer resource volume (amount of physical memory, cpu and bus speeds, etc).

The potential for headaches probably outweighs the probable benefits offered by the typical desktop :-)

My desktops dual core chip is X86-64, not counting a lone Motorola 6809-family chip it is the first and only one I've had that isn't purely X86. I'm quite interested to see 64-Bit computing become the norm, especially the implications of porting some software... But have yet to see sufficient advantage w/o exceeding the limits of existing 32-Bit systems.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.