Thread: SSD Install
View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2014
Port Guard

I'm not looking for TRIM support, really; I know that OpenBSD (as of 5.5) does not support TRIM functions.

However, I was looking for ways to reduce wear & tear on an SSD to extend life. For example, on my Linux systems I turn swappiness down to 10. I run 16GB of RAM and really do not need anything touching swap; however, I don't just get rid of it because of old habits, really.

Another example, for EXT4 and other journaling systems, I specify "noatime" in the fstab. There are other little tricks & settings to help reduce write/erase from the system to the disk.

Being new to OpenBSD, and with very few articles and absolutely no documentation at OpenBSD.org pertaining to this (that I could find at least), I was hoping somebody had experience in setting up systems with SSDs that could provide some help/answers/guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
My understanding of TRIM differs from yours. It is my understanding that TRIM impacts write operation performance, not lifespan. However, SSD onboard electronics may include "garbage collection" services that may reduce lifespan [1].

NAND memories require a delete operation of already written sectors before a new write operation can be executed. The TRIM commands shift this delete operation to a time other than during the write operation.

TRIM commands can be issued by filesystem drivers, such as during file deletions or during filesystem formmatting, or by user command such as with the Linux fstrim.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_%28computing%29