View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravuhaw2C View Post
I wish to recommend that OpenBSD developers create a simple GUI to help novice users to install the OS.
I'm curious, is this was a suggestion from business use or a personal computing preference?

Also, did you by chance check the FAQ before you started your installation?

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Install

I know that you can go between many linux distros without a lot of background research (with the exception of different package manager commands). However, it is really quite worth your time to understand the simple partitioning process. The two or three paragraphs needed to understand what is required to partition for a basic install added to time it takes for OpenBSD to complete an installation, is still probably faster than a Debian graphical installation.

I'm not trying telling you what to like. But, if you give yourself a chance to get over the change, you'll probably find that you don't miss that graphical install all that much. I don't know your usage situation, but if you ever need to partition a memory stick, you'll not be finding anything like Gparted to assist you. It'll pay off in the long run if you just embrace every opportunity to sharpen your user competencies. If your up for the challenge you'll likely join some of the BSD user community in begrudging most graphical user interfaces, since many are a waste of coding offering no real improvement over the command line.

Good luck and welcome to the community.