View Single Post
Old 18th January 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
It depends where you buy, if you buy a PC from us you will get the exact the components you want, with or without Microsoft tax (Shameless advertising: www.aragorn.nl).
With some other shops like Computerland or MyCom ... It can sometimes be a different story ...
I was referring to the manufacturer-made PCs, like from Dell or HP. The inexpensive ones often are not particularly impressive. Their workstations are great, though.

To the OP -- if all of this has you confused and frustrated, by all means let CS make one for you. There is more to putting together a computer than buying good parts and assembling it. You also have to test it, and parts do fail. Most are OK, but finding subtle problems can be difficult. Let a custom builder do it for you.

There is also the issue of cable routing. I'm fanatical about it, but many people simply stuff them in. That has consequences for case air flow, cooling and reliability. A well-chosen case helps, but it takes a while to get the hang of it.

I looked briefly at the computers CS's company offers, and they seem at first glance to be quite reasonable. None of the standard builds include discrete video cards, but that is trivial to change. You would also get one that he would guarantee (right?) would work for FreeBSD.