View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash512 View Post
Hai Friends,

I am just one day old in FreeBSD. I just installed it and am in facing big problem now. These are only some of my problems. Here beside the problems I am mentioning the output displayed when I use that particular command.

1. Wget command is not working. (wget: command not found)
wget is a linux thing. Welcome to FreeBSD. Use "fetch"
Quote:

2. export is not working (export: command not found)
export is for sh family shells. If you are using a C family shell, then the command is "env", and works differently. You would probably feel more comfotable if you installed bash anyway: it's in the ports at /usr/ports/shells/bash . See man ports(7) for all the info on what ports are.
Quote:

3.locate is not working ( locate:database too small: /var/db/locate.database)
locate is run off a database: on my ubuntu laptop I get the same error because it is not filling the database for some reason. The system will run the database creation routine about 4:15 AM on Sunday mornings, but you can run it yourself by running "/etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate"
Quote:
4.When I want to run a service and If i give the statement service xxx start then the output is again service : command not found
What is this 'service' thing? Take a read of man rc(7) to find out how FreeBSD starts, stops and manages daemons. Hint: it's all done with scripts in /etc/rc.d and /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and the file /etc/rc.conf
Quote:
5. How can I get mysql package installed in the box now.
/usr/ports/databases/mysqlversion. Oh and take a look at /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster while you are there.
Quote:
Please help me to solve these problems.

Thanks,
Prakash.
I hope we have been helpfull.

By the way: FreeBSD is not linux. It is a different OS and predates linux. They are both superficially similar, as they both have roots in UNIX philosophies (and BSD is actually based on the ancient UNIX codebase), but they are different animals.

Last edited by robbak; 11th July 2008 at 01:10 PM.