Thread: OpenBSD changes
View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2012
Spam Deminer

Default OpenBSD changes

Recently it was announced that OpenBSD 5.2 will be released in November (6 months as usual which is good), however, I wish they would remove the "only 2 remote holes in a heck of a long time" from their website. Very few people are going to run a server, unless it is a firewall, etc., as a base install. If running a web server, app server, etc., it requires additional software.

Beside that, what new piece of technology has been added to OpenBSD lately that keeps it relevant in an ever-changing IT landscape? OpenSMTPD was included in 4.6, and pf is old even though it had a rewrite in 4.7 or 4.8.

Looking at FreeBSD they have Jails, Jailsv2, DTrace, zfs, HAST, OFED, Capsicum and much more, functionality that OpenBSD just dismisses as "it creates a security hole." Given the amount of functionality in FreeBSD, the number of exploits tabulated by US-CERT is insignificant compared to OpenBSD.

Some commonly known appliances using FreeBSD:
Code:
    - pfSense, m0n0wall, and FreeNAS open source projects
    - Juniper JunOS
    - Nokia CheckPoint IPSO
    - NetApp ONTAP
    - Citrix NetScaler
    - Ironport AsyncOS
    - KACE Kbox
    - NETASQ
    - Isilon
    - Sandvine SVOS
    - PlayStation®3
    - Netflix Open Connect
    - TaxiMagic
    - EdgeWave iPrism
    - Panasonic VIERA G20 , G25 and VT plasma TVs
    - Blue Coat ProxySG
    - Coyote Point Equalizer GX
    - iXsystems TrueNAS
Can anyone give a list of appliances used by OpenBSD?

For the record, my firewall, web server and mail server run OpenBSD but am considering a move to FreeBSD because of their active technological development that seems trivial in OpenBSD.

OpenBSD has a long list of changes between 5.0 and 5.1 but a lot are bug fixes and minor changes. What I would like is something along the lines of BHyVe, Virtio, LLVM, etc.