Thread: Funny stuff
View Single Post
Old 11th December 2008
BSD gamer

Wow...

It just goes to show how often people ignore software licenses; they automatically choose the 'I accept' button without realizing just how far the totalitarian restrictions on use go, only to later fail in understanding just how FREE other software packages can be.

Back in when I was in junior high, the school signed up for some deal with Apple so that every student was loaned a laptop for school assignments. I remember there was some stupid rule which stated something about students not being allowed to install additional software on the machines because of 'legal issues' (which I'm pretty sure meant licensing issues).

It's not that I had planned on installing BSD or GNU/Linux (I did fantasize about it, though), but I did break that rule pretty quickly by installing Firefox .

----
As an aside, I love how this article states that the students were "empowered as learners and producers of knowledge"; the school provided a fully proprietary environment without even simple development tools installed.

The Unix-specific programs, or at least the terminal emulator and X11, (at least from what I remember) were nonexistent on the machines, too.

Sounds pretty restrictive if you ask me.