View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd November 2008
Freeman

Chill, I haven't had a Foxconn before, can you tell me why your friends didn't like it? For a desktop board they look good to me.

I'd have to agree with that Asus and Msi are good, particularly when matched with a fast cpus, although I haven't had a gigabyte board so no idea on that one. Similar to MSI is intel and its range of desktop and dual cpu workstations, loads of ocing ability and up to date fsbs and ram. But I really think that the Foxconn could be better than the intel boards for a desktop setup.

With you on the server boards, although I haven't read too many positives about Tyan of late. As soon as you move away from a single cpu setup the only choice seems to be Supermicro/Intel combo. That said SuperMicro has made some good single cpu boards in the past, and I am sure that it could also do the same in the future, although you need a keen eye to choose a winner.

I am not really into Asus that much, but some people just can't live without it, do you know if it is a chick thing, or more of an OCing board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
> Supermicro or Foxconn?

Supermicro makes some of the best intel mbds ... but the intent of your questions is not clear.

If are thinking about overclocking, "ethusiast" boards then forget about Supermicro.
ephemera, I agree there are some really solid servers coming out of supermicro at the moment, is there any competition in the server market, what about IBM's PowerPC range or SunSparc architectures?

As far as enthusiast boards go, i guess at one extreme i have seen pics of like super cooled setups with seethrough cases with fluro lights and speakers just like oced cars, but i am not sure if that is me at this stage, i am more of a traditionalist at heart.