View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
Shell Scout

@J65nko

Yes, I could use these environment variables to set up an alternate location for the packages and they would be used when pkg_add is invoked.

The idea about the program is that you don't have to know the full name of the package (like in the screenshot above), so the program will search for a match of the given pattern and let you choose which package to install.

Thus if you want to install some of the xorg-fonts-* package, first you'll have to find the package, take it's full name and then install it with pkg_add.
For example if the package files are in /cdrom/packages/All/ perhaps you'll have to do something like this:
Code:
# find /cdrom/packages/All/ -name "xorg-fonts*" -print
--- some output here ---
# pkg_add /cdrom/packages/All/xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.3.tbz # just an example
And if you do that with the above program, you'll just run a single command
Code:
# smart_add /cdrom/packages/ xorg-font
And then you can interactively choose which package to install, since you'll have all the available packages which match xorg-font for example.

Anyway you could still set these env variables to point to some FTP site(s) since when no matching pattern is found the program invokes pkg_add -r pattern and then the FTP sites will be searched for the package.

But as I mentioned in my first post - "this is not a new pkg_add command, it's a pkg_add command which acts a little bit different" - this way giving you the chance to search for a pattern and of course a little bit interactivity which I think pkg_add doesn't provide.

Cheers
<DNAeon>