Thread: *BSD Laptops
View Single Post
Old 1st November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

So my laptop finally came. I am slowly making my way through configuring it and trying to get everything working. Much to my delight, many things "just work" in a way that is pleasing to me.

For instance, the touchpad/trackpoint/wireless_usb_notebook_mouse automatically are recognized and function properly. And I was easily able to disable the touchpad via the BIOS and the trackpoint and wireless mouse still work as expected. The reason I disabled the touchpad is because when I type, my palms have a tendency to move the cursor via the touchpad - and I don't like using it anyway. But the trackpoint is a nice feature, so it stays. And the wireless mouse is instantly and automatically recognized when I plug and unplug it. And I'm using /dev/wsmouse.

One thing that has been a bear is configuring X. I first tried just plain XFree86 that ships with NetBSD. That didn't work - and I can't blame it, the 'intel' driver is too new to have been compiled for it. So, I installed modular X.org. Everything compiled smoothly, but when I tried to startx, nothing. The two main errors I received was that the glx module didn't exist and that agpgart wasn't configured (or didn't exist - I can't remember). I fought with it for about two days. Many people mentioned a similar problem, but their solutions didn't work for me. So, I finally went back to plain old XFree86, used the 'vesa' driver - and all is peachy. I really don't need 3D acceleration, so a basic driver will work. The only reason I have X installed is to use programs like Firefox, OpenOffice, GIMP, and maybe watch a DVD.

- speaking of graphical needs, does anyone know if NetBSD ships with an image viewer? I thought that X would come with xv, but it's not there. -

There is still a bit to configure - installing programs, getting wireless setup, possibly mapping the special function keys (does any know where I can find the key event codes for those special keys?), etc. I'll keep you guys updated and give a full review at the end.

The only thing that I don't like about this computer so far is the placement of the F1 and the Function keys. F1 interferes with Escape and Function interferes with left-Control. I guess my fingers will adapt, and I may switch the Caps Lock and Escape if I can figure how to do it in the console (I can do it in X), but it is an inconvenience.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)