Thread: Populating /dev
View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th April 2011
Port Guard

Default Populating /dev

My situation:

I have an external hard drive that can be mounted manually as da0s1. No problems there. However, da0s1 is the only USB device available in my /dev bank. So when I want to mount a flash drive, I'm out of luck. In the past I could mount a flash drive on da1s1, but currently I can't do so. Sometimes I've been able to mount the flash drive using the external drive's device file, but I don't like doing that, because often I need both devices mounted at the same time.

What I want to do:

I want to create a /dev entry for the flash drive. If I can do that, a lot of things will clear up. It's my understanding that /dev entries can be generated using command line utilities like dd and the disk label utility, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw this procedure written out.

So, if anyone in here can point me to an FAQ, HowTo, or other source of documentation on how to generate device entries, I will be most grateful and will do what I can to increase your karma quota. That assumes, of course, that this procedure is still supported by FreeBSD.

I've mentioned this problem in other threads, and I have come to partial solutions for many issues, but so far, not all of them. So I'm looking into a new approach.

For the record, I'm using PC-BSD 8.2. Which is essentially (or rather, it should be) FreeBSD 8.2 with some nice bells and whistles added. My computer is a Dell Dimension 4550 series that has been customized and upgraded so many times that Dell's original diagnostic utility doesn't recognize it any more. (But PC-BSD and Windows-XP both run just fine, so what the heck.)

Thanks in advance,

RJPugh