View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
BTW I hate laptops with their lousy keyboards so I don't have one
Actually, thinkpad keyboards are very good. So good in fact, that Lenovo has a standalone USB version.
I prefer my thinkpad keyboard over my "normal" keyboard, and would buy the standalone lenovo keyboard if I could order it in the Netherlands (So far it only seems to be available in the states )

I do agree that many laptops do have bad keyboard though, the main problems are actually very simple:

o Almost every laptop designer seems to be totally obsessed with the idea that a laptop keyboard should fit in a nice rectangle. This leads odd key locations, and even odder key sizes. (See this Asus keyboard for example.).

o Many keyboards are very, very poorly attached to the notebook. Only very few are actually screwed to the notebook. More than half are only attached by three little clicking thingies at the top, and few are screwed to the top. This just sucks. This results in a lot of vibration/noise when typing.
Double sided tape does a fairly good job fixing this by the way ...

There are also some other more minor issues. But these two cause the most grief and horrible typing experience.