View Single Post
Old 31st March 2009
Arp Constable

The only book I know of is programming from the ground up; it uses GAS and goes through the basics of programming by way of Linux X86 assembly (AT&T syntax, Linux calling convention; available as PDF). The tutorial in the FreeBSD developers handbook thing / int80h website (uses NASM) gives a good enough concept of the language basics -> especially the differences in calling conventions. Book wise, the only books I've heard about *were* good back in the days of TASM/MASM on MS-DOS. Have you tried Amazon Carpetsmoker?

When I was experimenting in asm, I was using programming from the ground up for GAS code examples under Linux, and the NASM manual for a language reference use with FreeBSD lol. (Intel should still have immense volumes of documentation available on the instruction set and various processors). The big issue, how the heck do you invoke a system call that expects a pointer to a C 'struct'. The regular programming tasks should be easy enough to figure out with a decently documented assembler and hardware documentation.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.