View Single Post
Old 4th September 2011
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
It's still not a bright idea to use virtualization in a production environment, it's disgusting how many people do that these days.

Just use real hardware, not pseudo-hardware with a boat load of potential emulation bugs.. it's real simple.
I can partly agree and partly disagree with that statement- when done properly, tested, and monitored for expected performance benchmarks, virtualization is financial windfall. But most internal IT departments will "mess around with virtualization", which loosely translates to slapping a hypervisor onto an inappropriate system (usually an old one).

VirtualBox is actually my application of choice when running virtualization on my Win7 desktops at home and work. It's just to mess around with, and is easy to configure and run.

It's true, you don't want to place production operations into an environment like that... but if you have an enterprise-grade virtualization installation, you can reap many rewards with few issues. However, I must stress, I likely wouldn't choose VirtualBox itself as the hypervisor platform for production hosting operations.