View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
...I took the FreeBSD approach of installing everything via the ports tree instead of using pkg_add.
That isn't recommended for this operating system, because with OpenBSD there is no operational difference between a package you install from your nearby mirror and a port you build yourself. Your ports build creates the same package. With this OS, you should need to build a port only when a package is unavailable (e.g., an unpackaged $FLAVOR, or licensing, etc.), or when an available snapshot package is out of sync for a -current system and will not install.

You can provide a complete list of installed packages to dpb(1) in pkgpath(7) format, which can be obtained from pkg_info(1). Use the -P option with pkg_info, and the -I option with dpb.
Quote:
...should I be building Stable or Snapshot?
-current. You can install "snapshot" packages which are -current, available from most mirrors. But these will never be exactly in sync with the kernel and userland, as -current is a constantly moving target. They will usually install/update without problems, but you must be prepared to manually build a few ports now and again.
Quote:
As my version of OpenBSD is now latest snapshot; does the Port version refer to that or is it a snapshot for the actual port itself so infact I should build Stable?
If you're using a snapshot, you are on -current. You should keep your ports tree -current, not -release or -stable. -stable is a patch branch, and is about 8 or 9 months behind -current at the moment.

Last edited by jggimi; 3rd April 2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: typo, clarity.