I am using -current branch of ports which I got from here:

http://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html

Code:
Anytime afterwards, to `update' this tree:
(If you are following current):

# cd /usr/ports
	# cvs -q up -Pd

So I will take your advice in using pkg_add -u

Actually the above link I gave from Peter Hansteen was quite a bit of help during my upgrade. It also suggests to use:

Code:
$ sudo pkg_add -vui

As I'm not really that familiar with pkg_add in OpenBSD I will need to find out how to configure it....

From the OpenBSD FAQ:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#Easy

Code:
15.2.2 - Making things easy: PKG_PATH

You can make things really easy by using the PKG_PATH environment variable. Just point it to your favorite location, and pkg_add(1) will automatically look there for any package you specify, and also fetch and install the necessary dependencies of this package automatically.

A list of possible locations to fetch packages from is given in the following section.

Example 1: fetching from your CDROM, assuming you mounted it on /mnt/cdrom

$ export PKG_PATH=/mnt/cdrom/5.4/packages/`machine -a`/
Example 2: fetching from a nearby FTP mirror

$ export PKG_PATH=ftp://your.ftp.mirror/pub/OpenBSD/5.4/packages/`machine -a`/
It's usually a good idea to add a line similar to the above examples to your ~/.profile. As with the classic PATH variable, you can specify multiple locations, separated by colons. Prior to OpenBSD 4.4, every path in the PKG_PATH variable MUST end in a slash (/). That way, pkg_add(1) can split the path correctly even if it holds URL schemes containing colons. If the first entry in PKG_PATH fails, the next one will be tried, and so on, until the package is found. If all entries fail, an error is produced.

Notice the use of machine(1) in the above command lines. This automatically substitutes your installed OpenBSD "application architecture", which is usually, but not always, your platform name. Of course, if you are using snapshots, you will replace "5.4" with "snapshots".

which I totally understand.... only issue is how to make that permanent?

OpenBSD uses the Korn shell if I'm not wrong so would putting the: "export PKG_PATH" into the .cshrc file work? Or am I mixing up with .bashrc style of things?