Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 7th July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
What exactly a desktop is has been discussed with some interest. The best I can tell is that a "desktop" is what people do with their own local CPU running their own local programs, and that this varies a *lot*. And that definition is not that clean either. Your definition fits more or less in the "Is Linux ready for the desktop" sort of threads, but I think it is insufficient.
I like your definition very much. On the another hand do you think in 5 to 10 years people will run their own local programs except for Unix geeks?
I am not so sure. Already today at least 20-30% Linux (not Windows users) use web-based email services like Gmail instead of email clients. At least Gmail unlike Hotmail offers people to download the mail via
IMAP server. You can do text processing using Google documents without having any programs installed locally.
In all fairness, I have to repeat something that was said before. 80% of time 80% of Desktop computers run screen saver and those work pretty well on any operating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
And yes, I know slivovic well. Quite a different product from wine, but quite enjoyable. I'm thinking of having a go at it from a very productive plum tree we have.
I see that you are about to cross to the dark-side of the force I have to worn you though. The distillation of the hard liquor is monopolized in U. S. and is illegal for all practical purposes. Last time I was distilling
Slivovica my friends form Cleveland had very hard time convincing police that I am brewing famous Serbian beer.

Best,
OKO

P. S. I have to correct myself. My grandfather produced VINE and he had no
clue what is wine as he never had the desktop computer

Last edited by Oko; 7th July 2008 at 04:56 AM.