#3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarss View Post
Hi,
Hello, and welcome!
Quote:
I am really embarrassed to have to ask help on this one but I just can't seem to figure it out.
There is nothing to be embarrassed about. We've all had technical puzzles that were highly complex (for us, anyway), as well as a few "facepalm" moments now and again. It comes with the territory.
Code:
$ sudo ifconfig urtw0 nwid Jupiter  chan 7 bssid 00:0f:66:00:7c:29 wpakey XXX
Not everyone needs to specify channel or bssid. But what's important is what I highlight below:
Code:
urtw0: flags=8a43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 lladdr 00:c0:ca:50:79:21
 priority: 4
groups: wlan
media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1 mode 11g)

ieee80211: nwid Jupiter chan 7 bssid 00.0f:66:00:7c:29 100dB wpakey (not displayed) wpaprotos wpa1.wpa2. wpaakms psk wpaciphers tkep, ccmp wpagroupcipher tkip 100dBm
inet6 fe80::2c0:caff:fe50:7921%urtw0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am not supplied with an IP and I do not seem to have an actual connection.
The "active" status means that there is a recognized Ethernet connection. You're on the right channel, connected to the right Access Point, with a recognized encryption key.

From what you've posted, it appears you just haven't yet requested an IP address. The protocol to do this is the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). On OpenBSD, you can do this manually with the dhclient(8) program, simply: # dhclient urtw0 and that might do the trick.

You can also create an /etc/hostname.urtw0 file with "dhcp" in it, as described in the hostname.if(5) man page. The hostname.* files are used by the netstart(8) program, called by rc(8) during boot.