View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc2 View Post
I wanted reproduce this setup using FBSD.
ack!

Are you sure this is something that you really-really-really want to do? Even though the goal is noble and worthy, because you are asking it betrays a lack of working knowledge of Windows or FBSD or both.

If your PDC is in a stand-alone enviroment and is not in any trusted relationships, you could switch to a BSD sever for file storage and print services. But then you need to consider what services you are potentially losing (ie: DNS, DCHP, etc) and replace those on the FBSD box.

What about your users? How many are auth'ing against this AD box and for what reasons? And since you are getting rid of Exchange, what are you going to replace it with?

POP3 accounts?

Regardless this now means getting a mail server up and running and config'd to how your users are accustomed do doing business. Otherwise you now take on the role of mentor to retrain everyone to the "new" way. And since I am on the subject .. are you prepared to handle additional password resets? Because you cannot have users without password resets!

For all Microsoft's faults, administration of a user base that is in an office enviroment is pretty slick with Active Directory and group policy.

Depending your personal ratio of pain versus having-a-life and if your user base is < 10 ... I would say go for it.