DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2008
New User

Question NetBSD/macppc on a "Yosemite" B&W G3

Hello.

I have tried installing NetBSD on my G3 a couple of times, but I am always put off by the text display, which is quite funky-looking. In contrast, I have installed OpenBSD a couple of times, and the display is very clean-looking. Is there some sysctl setting or something that I can tweak to get NetBSD looking decent on a New World Mac?

Hardware info about the B&W G3 can be found here.

Thanks much
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo View Post
Hello.

I have tried installing NetBSD on my G3 a couple of times, but I am always put off by the text display, which is quite funky-looking. In contrast, I have installed OpenBSD a couple of times, and the display is very clean-looking. Is there some sysctl setting or something that I can tweak to get NetBSD looking decent on a New World Mac?

Hardware info about the B&W G3 can be found here.

Thanks much
You can altar wscons with wsconsctl. For instance, to change the normal text color to green:

wsconsctl -d -w msg.default.fg=green

To turn the background blue:

wsconsctl -d -w msg.default.bg=blue

To find out more, check out wsconsctl(8)

Here are the colors I know will work with it (there may be others):

black, white, red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, brown
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd December 2008
New User

A couple years ago I installed NetBSD on my original ibook. At that time, wscons wasn't supported because of the OpenFirmWare nature of getting NW macs to boot. So the screen was white and odd.

What I ended up doing was installing x11 and a window manager and booting into that automatically. It looked a lot better.