glxgears @ 1FPS!
(moved from another thread)
I'm depressed to read that folks think 300 FPS is poor, anything would be an improvement on 1FPS!
I've included information from the logs etc but I can't find any errors. DRI appears to be loaded so I've no idea why the low frame rate.
Messing about I changed the permissions on /dev/drm0 from
crw-rw---- to crw------- and performance improves.
sudo chmod g-rw /dev/drm0
481 frames in 5.0 seconds = 95.993 FPS
479 frames in 5.0 seconds = 95.743 FPS
478 frames in 5.0 seconds = 95.471 FPS
481 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.019 FPS
then change it back.
sudo chmod g+rw /dev/drm0
9 frames in 6.0 seconds = 1.496 FPS
8 frames in 6.0 seconds = 1.333 FPS
7 frames in 6.0 seconds = 1.167 FPS
Information from logs etc
OpenBSD hobnob.home 5.3 GENERIC.MP#62 amd64
glxinfo |grep renderer
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV630 9581) TCL
dmesg | grep vga
vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600" rev 0x00
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
radeondrm0 at vga1: apic 1 int 16
and from Xorg log.
[ 117.945] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/drm0
[ 117.947] drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
[ 117.949] drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
[ 117.949] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/drm0
[ 117.951] drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
[ 117.951] drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 10
[ 117.951] drmOpenByBusid: Interface 1.4 failed, trying 1.1
[ 117.951] drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
[ 117.953] (II) RADEON(0): [dri] Found DRI library version 1.3.0 and kernel module version 1.31.0
[ 117.770] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 117.771] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[ 117.791] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 117.791] compiled for 1.12.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 117.791] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 117.792] (==) AIGLX enabled
[ 117.792] (II) Loading extension GLX
[ 117.792] (II) LoadModule: "record"
[ 117.793] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/librecord.so
[ 117.793] (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 117.793] compiled for 1.12.3, module version = 1.13.0
[ 117.793] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[ 117.793] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 117.794] (II) Loading extension RECORD
[ 117.794] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
[ 117.794] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.so
[ 117.816] (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 117.816] compiled for 1.12.3, module version = 1.0.0
[ 117.816] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 6.0
[ 117.816] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
[ 117.817] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[ 117.817] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
[ 117.818] (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
and I can see no errors in the Xorg Log.
Any help appreciated.
Long story short, the work to make r600 chipsets' interrupt polling work hasn't been done yet.
Linux/Network-Security Engineer by Profession. OpenBSD user by choice.
I created /etc/drirc and copied in the code from the link. I'm astonished! Thank you.
IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 0 10
3741 frames in 5.0 seconds = 748.191 FPS
3745 frames in 5.0 seconds = 748.883 FPS
3739 frames in 5.0 seconds = 747.655 FPS
3745 frames in 5.0 seconds = 748.852 FPS
I don't know if it is relevant for your hardware(hd6310)/problem but I can second angryfirelord's suggestion on better support. I just upgraded from 5.3 to 5.4-CURRENT because I was having issues with hardware acceleration in X. See this thread. Now I'm running -current and everything worked out of the box.
I've been away from BSD for a number of years and have just installed 5.9 on the same machine I posted about above in 2013. I've run glxgears and I get 60FPS, well at least it is not 1! There are no errors in Xorg.log and I've tried the fix from rocket357 above but it made no difference. I've set machdep.apperture=2 but that did not seem to make any difference.
that gave me 1500 FPS which is twice what I got 3 years ago. At this rate I'll never have to buy a new laptop
Anyway, I do get terrible (choppy) youtube play back using Chromium and Firefox and I was wondering if that was related to FPS, but I don't think so as mplayer works OK and I can watch DVDs. The network performance seems OK as the videos load quickly and I've got 4G ram and hardly used any of it.
I'll not worry about it.
Firefox has choppy youtube playback. Maybe new SMP strategy will make it more watchable.
Chromium should work better, at least for me it is working. I would mount /tmp as tmpfs directory. I don't know if this is going to make youtube playable, but for me pages are more responsive and there are no lags when scrolling, when /tmp is mounted as tmpfs.