DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2013
Port Guard

Default Fresh installation 6.1.2 amd64 freezes in the line "root device"

Hi, I'm trying to install NetBSD.amd64 6.1.2 from ISO in a desktop Dell Dimension E521 AMD64x2 Athlon 5000+ with 250GB HDD. The installer shows "boot device: <unknown>" and below "root device:" (no more data in this line). I do not know if I should write anything there but the keyboard does not seem to work. I tried the installer on a laptop Intel Centrino Duo and boot without problems.
I've tried some things recommended in #netbsd at Freenode as "dev / dev hdXa..." or "boot -c then disable ehci / ohci" without success. No RAID system.

Any idea?

Regards.

Last edited by divel; 7th November 2013 at 01:17 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2013
Port Guard

Default GPT related

I guess the problem may be related to the GPT partitioning. When booting with Windows DVD installer notified about that. I could fix it pre-installing FreeBSD.

EDIT: The installer does not work very fine, I got install NetBSD 6.0.3 from an usb-stick but not 6.1.2 via CD-ROM. Unfortunately I lost the charm for Linux/BSD systems, back to Windows for a while. :/

Last edited by divel; 14th November 2013 at 09:20 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd November 2013
Semper deinceps corda

I also hit problems when installing NetBSD on a disk that had GPT partitioning before. The best way to solve it is to destroy, create and destroy the GPT scheme with the FreeBSD's gpart command.