DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Programming

Programming C, bash, Python, Perl, PHP, Java, you name it.

View Poll Results: What's your relashionship with Java?
I use it because I like it. 11 23.40%
I use it because my job demands it. 11 23.40%
I use it because its in fashion and don't wish to be an outcast. 1 2.13%
No Java for me, thank you. 25 53.19%
I don't like managed code. 8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th July 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
I didn't used to like Java at all because of it's closed nature
Hm, the source was aviable (except the bootstap)

Maybe i'm outing me now, but i work in a java house (and i have running many web applications with java running since FreeBSD 5.2).

I agree with the dislike of every new tool that comes now with a java gui and support for only one platform (backup, clientless vpn... for windows) but that's another story.

All I can say is a well developed 'enterprise java' app can run fine and quick even on a old 600MHz machine with 512MB ram (deploy time not counted)
Old 28th July 2008
Package Pilot

I agree with ohauer. It is not because there are slow application writtent in Java that Java in necessarily slow. There are slow C application even if C is recognized to be fast.

I had to wrote a few applications in Java at school and loved my experience. I feel this language is pretty complete, as it allows you to write low-level applications as well as high-level application quickly. Yes there are a bunch of methods, but who forces you to use them?
New User

I had to help someone through a Java class once. I had never done it myself, and the pupil wasn't cut out to be a programmer -- she dropped CS shortly thereafter (yes, she was female, but it had nothing to do with her gender).

Anyway, I remember not feeling comfortable with the language. I was flipping back and forth through her textbook to do things that, while flipping, I had already figured out how to do in 3 or 4 other languages. It was quite frustrating (and exacerbated by the fact that she usually waited until the last minute for help, and was on the 2pm-2am college student schedule, while I was working a 7-5 job).

But since I generally form judgments about languages within the first hour or so's use of them or reading about them, Java failed my test. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, but I never used it or wanted to use it after that. Now that it has some worthy competition, I probably won't ever use it.

I have used some nice programs written in Java, though, and it can be reasonably fast. Obviously it fits someone's mental model, just not mine.
Old 4th August 2008
Knuth's homeboy

> Now that it has some worthy competition

(you forgot to mention) which language?
Old 4th August 2008
New User

No Java for me, thank you.
Old 5th August 2008
Port Guard

JAVA=UGH! but is better than C#. For both I simply hate being beaten over the head with OOP. I like OOP, but the way Python approaches seems much less heavy handed. Couple that with having to deal with type declarations and all that(yes I got spoiled by scripts) and I would rather code in C++ than JAVA. The one plus is the open nature and plethora of libraries.
Old 21st November 2008
vigol

Deitel's were anticipate an elegant future for java -- C How to Program 3rd ed. --, but I'm in opposite line, And I think OpenJDK is a proof! in the same way that OpenSolaris is a proof.
And in a footnote manner : MySQL is joing to this theory draft too.

Tags
java