DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

View Poll Results: what linux distro do you use and/or like?
Redhat / Centos 24 15.19%
Suse 4 2.53%
Debian 35 22.15%
Slackware 30 18.99%
Gentoo 13 8.23%
Ubuntu 23 14.56%
Others 29 18.35%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Not if there isn't anything else to change.
Old 14th June 2008
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
Debian does what it's meant to very well, but I've always liked to fool around. When I was using Debian, I didn't find much to do. If you installed GDM, it was automatically added to the proper runlevel. Almost every single package was setup properly, requiring little to no user interaction and leaving little to no room for customization. Those are areas where Gentoo, Slackware, Arch, and FreeBSD simply rule. It's also an area where Fedora, Red Hat, and CentOS do better than Debian. That may have changed though, as I haven't touched Fedora in over two years.
This is the Debian way of doing things, the opposite is some distro like Slackware. Therefore we have a 'bunch' of distros and even some BSD forks
Fdisk Soldier

In my company I am working as a sysadmin, we using RHEL because it is certified by the Oracle databases we are running. As far I administer RHEL or Centos on my work, I must say that this distro has high quality standards and the best commercial vendor support compared to the other n,n+1,n+2,n+.. flavors of Linux.

Anyway, I am planning to switch some other type of servers on FreeBSD
Old 14th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Pure BS!
If you are using Oracle (with support contracts) you would be using "unbreakable"
http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/index.html
not RHEL.
ISO Quartermaster

The support may be from RH. Please let's not start calling each other's posts BS, I think that's one thing we're trying to avoid here.

RH does support oracle, and at least in 2006 Oracle supported RedHat. What they are doing with customers who started with RH, I don't know, as at our place we run it on MS.
Old 14th June 2008
Spam Deminer

I've seen my Dad setup Oracle clusters on RH many times. RH supports Oracle and the other way around. I think there are specific patches and such that Oracle distributes for use with RH. You can also use their own Linux distribution, which is essentially RH prepatched and rebranded.
Old 14th June 2008
Spam Deminer

What I mean is, that with a Oracle support contract, when something goes wrong in RHEL, Oracle people would have the easy escape to direct you to "unbreakable". (Depends on the fine prints.)

If an OS is certified to run an app, it, in no means, suggest the underlaying OS is supported.
Corollary if an app is certified to run on a given OS.
It barely is a salesman argument.

Hence my use of BS as harisman clearly indicates that his use is industrial/commercial grade. This pre-cludes access to the technical support dept.
Which one? RHEL support for Oracle, or Oracle support for RHEL.

And, if no support, a costly law firm with performing magnifying glasses.

Legally, when there is a doubt, there is no culprit.
Hence, I repeat, certified OS|app to run app|OS is a dangerous situation for which the two letters are feable.
New User

The Laptop : Arch Linux with GNOME
The Desktop : Debian with ICEWM
Old 29th July 2008
Port Guard

Arch sits nicely next to FreeBSD... in a dual boot.

So simple and predictable distro.
Old 31st July 2008
New User

Well, I know I'm late to the party, but the primary OS I use at home is ZenWalk. It's based on slackware and it works on my outdated hardware. By default it uses XFCE front end that I grew fond of thanks to FreeSBiE. I also have FreeBSD and OpenBSD installed.

I've tried using Redhat Linux, Fedora Core, Knoppix, Debian, Slackware, mandrake, SUSE ... I think I've even run openlinux and Xandros for a while
Old 31st July 2008
New User

My wife is the main linux user around here now. I set up Mint for her and she took over the desktop. I got a Mac Mini which I mostly use. We also have an Acer laptop with Windows Vista preinstalled, but I ran across WUBI, a way to install Ubuntu in a loopback system running in windows, as I understand it. I wanted to see if it worked as well as advertised on the laptop, and was not disappointed
Old 1st August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousesack View Post
Arch sits nicely next to FreeBSD... in a dual boot.

So simple and predictable distro.
Arch seems very unpolished at the moment.
Old 1st August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
Arch seems very unpolished at the moment.
Can you talk little more about that, some links maybe?

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 1st August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I read that about Arch somewhere, too. DistroWatch maybe?
Old 2nd August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I wonder why it's being said? Unless they refer to various tools that more newcomer friendly distributions include, which Arch, by design, lacks.

I'm actually surprised Arch didn't do better in this poll. I would think it would be the first or second choice for BSD users. An /etc/rc.conf file, minimalist default install, , flexibility in using binary or source...

I was also surprised by how many of us use a variant of RH, e.g., Fedora, CentOS, etc. I'd think that the average BSDer would very much dislike its bloat and weird way of organizing the system. On the other hand, CentOS itself, though it suffers from these things, is pretty stable and perhaps that's what we liked.
Old 2nd August 2008
Port Guard

Not too surprised by the RedHat dominance, given its penetration into the enterprise market and its age. I remember being in High School and having RedHat 5 as my first experience into the non-windows/Mac world
Old 2nd August 2008
Arp Constable

Considering the general population of this forum Scottro, unless it amounted to a lot of hate posts. I would be rather surprised if the collective RH related distros didn't fair well in this poll. Why I feel that way is for what ever percentage of people here work in computing fields, probably most have been exposed to RH in one form or another often enough if their job relates to Linux systems. So the problem I guess becomes do most love it or are just more comfortable with it then other distributions.

Me, the closest my job has come to any flavor of Linux is dusting off RHEL7.x and Ubuntu 7.04 disks on the bosses desk lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 2nd August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Terry, your answer makes sense. It's actually why I use it.
Old 3rd August 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
I'm actually surprised Arch didn't do better in this poll. I would think it would be the first or second choice for BSD users. An /etc/rc.conf file, minimalist default install, , flexibility in using binary or source...
Speaking only for myself, I can say that I've read about Arch and was impressed with their project goals / attitudes. But I'm really not looking for a BSD-like Linux distro. If I want FreeBSD, I will use FreeBSD.

When I'm required to use a Linux distro, I am inclined to opt for a server market leader, and my managers are inclined to want something officially supported. Since I already spend a lot of time with Red Hat-family distros at work, CentOS makes sense for personal use.

[ So I'm probably just reiterating some of what TerryP already said. ]
VPN Cryptographer

I used to use FreeBSD for everything but I do miss the movies/videos in flash that I don't have to try and download. When I signed up with a host for the first time, and they used Linux, I finally decided I needed to get one.

I went with Ubuntu because it seemed easy to install, and it was. I can transfer my web apps to it from my FreeBSD box, recompile, and upload to my hosts servers and everything runs. But I'm not convinced Ubuntu is right for me. Just over an hour ago, I tried uninstalling sqlite cause I didn't take the time to figure out how to do a 'portupgrade' and found out installed half of userland which depended on that version of sqlite (not including v1 and v2 which were also installed).

Since my host is running CentOS, I thought I'd install it on one of my other boxes while running Ubuntu on this laptop. Then try Debian and Arch.

Ubuntu doesn't want you to run without a desktop. I prefer to go to the desktop when I feel like it. I do not know if doing that on Debian or Arch would be like FreeBSD where I just 'startx' and I'm there.

I didn't like having all the stuff installed by default with Ubuntu. Actually, on this laptop I used Wubi but I haven't looked yet to see if Wubi just loads more stuff or not.

If FreeBSD ran the latest flash well, I wouldn't be having this issue. I said I was going to use my spare time to get flash ported properly but I don't have any spare time.