DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
New User

Default Resume: FreeBSD to Windows

I am in need of a word processor that can create resumes and be viewed in Windows. I am sending out resumes online and they will need to be viewed in Windows. Any advice? I am using FreeBSD 7.0.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

use OpenOffice.org
editors/openoffice.org-3
Runs on lin/win/bsd/sol/....

A great feature is export to pdf
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
New User

Thank you so much. Haven't installed OO in a while so I am not looking forward to waiting 24 hours but hey, if it works...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

you can install it from packages ( i just don't remember the link)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

If you only need to send a simple resume, I'd suggest you try AbiWord and send out only PDF files. AbiWord is pretty light, it has a ton of useful extensions (if you want to install the whole thing), and the text quality is OK. Its main downside is that its Word compatibility is poor.

OO.o is fine too.

But do send it out as a PDF. Then no one can change it unless they REALLY want to.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by killasmurf86 View Post
you can install it from packages ( i just don't remember the link)
They are at good-day.net.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Or just use Google Docs.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2008
New User

Looks like a few good options. I am going to give each one a test run and see what I like and don't like about them and decide then. Thanks for the info guys.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
If you only need to send a simple resume, I'd suggest you try AbiWord and send out only PDF files. AbiWord is pretty light, it has a ton of useful extensions (if you want to install the whole thing), and the text quality is OK. Its main downside is that its Word compatibility is poor.
Abiword is way too GNOME-centric. It might have less dependencies than OO but I really hate the dependencies it has.

Also OO is better with MS Word formats.
Old 13th November 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by killasmurf86
use OpenOffice.org
editors/openoffice.org-3
Runs on lin/win/bsd/sol/....

A great feature is export to pdf
I'll second both the suggestion and the feature praise.

OOo's MS Word compatibility is pretty good. I frequently export to PDF when sharing documentation with co-workers, though. I'd think resumes would be another good candidate for PDF format.
ISO Quartermaster

If you want a light way to do it, use groff with the -ms macros. Ghostscript will convert the ps output to pdf just fine, and it is pretty small. groff is part of the base system.
Old 13th November 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post

OO.o is fine too.

But do send it out as a PDF. Then no one can change it unless they REALLY want to.
I do not know what Dr. thinks about Ted but I really like it for the novice users. Ted works with RTF (Rich Text Format) which is M$ open format inspired by TeX. It is the default format when you use Notepad. You can export your .doc from
M$ office into RTF and simply open them in Ted and they will have the same layout. Ted is less than 1MB and has no
dependencies.

I like Pathetic Writer which is part of Siag office suite but it is not ported to FreeBSD. You may use it though on OpenBSD and it is my default office suite. Pathetic Writer also can open RTF but the default mode is pw format which is PW own format. You can export things of course into PDF and PS. Siag office suite which has almost the
same functionality of OO is 5MB. As we know the OO is 1GB.

On the another hand the answer to your question depends whom you are sending resumes and for what purposes. I personally would not read a resume which is not done in TeX/LaTeX and sent to me in PDF or PS format but I am mathematician and that is just our standard. I would probably read the resume which was done in Troff but that is because I have a weakness for it.

Resume processed with MikTeX on Windows or TeXLive on Unix is the same thing. You just transfer the source file and process. The same is true for Troff (actually you have to use Groff on Windows). There is a native version of Groff for Windows as well.

You can run Groff and TeX on Windows via Cygwin also.

Last edited by Oko; 13th November 2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 13th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Never tried Ted. I use, on a regular basis, groff, TeX, Word, WordPerfect (lawyers!), OO.o and AbiWord. There may be a few others, but that is enough.

Last edited by DrJ; 13th November 2008 at 04:33 AM.
Old 13th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
On the another hand the answer to your question depends whom you are sending resumes and for what purposes. I personally would not read a resume which is not done in TeX/LaTeX and sent to me in PDF or PS format but I am mathematician and that is just our standard.
This is important. You have to define your field, and learn what the standards are. My wife is a recruiter in biotechnology, and the standard, 100% of the time, is MS Word. You can certainly get by with a PDF, but one thing she does is help the applicant improve their original resume. Many are truly awful -- you might be shocked.

Once you have the final form, submitting a PDF is fine. Everyone can read those. But if you work with someone to do so, you really do need something that can be read by Word. That is OO.o.

If you have confidence in you original resume, then do consider AbiWord or one of the typesetters like groff or TeX.
Old 13th November 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Ted works with RTF (Rich Text Format) which is M$ open format inspired by TeX. It is the default format when you use Notepad.
I believe you're thinking of WordPad, which uses RTF by default. Notepad is a pure text editor, and can't save to anything that's not text based (default being .txt).

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 13th November 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Notepad is a pure text editor, and can't save to anything that's not text based (default being .txt).
Any text editor that defaults to CRLF vs LF-only is not a pure text editor.
Old 13th November 2008
Tcpdump Spy

I wrote mine with Vim when I was looking for a job some time ago ... I would advice using unix2dos though, because otherwise your file will be unreadable if it gets opened with Notepad.
Remember to use spaces for indenting, not tabs.

Quote:
Any text editor that defaults to CRLF vs LF-only is not a pure text editor.
You can't even use LF with Notepad, if you open a LF file with Notepad there are no newlines.
Uber Geek

I have had to resubmit resumes on several occasions when submitted them in PDF form .... stick with what everyone wants and just give them a doc. it sucks but that's life. Recruitment agencies seem to want to be able to edit them to fix typos etc.

Forum Netiquette
Old 18th November 2008
Shell Scout

I think Textmaker (from Softmaker) has a much better MS Word compatibility than OO.
Sadly they discontinued it on FreeBSD.
Old 18th November 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
I think Textmaker (from Softmaker) has a much better MS Word compatibility than OO.
Sadly they discontinued it on FreeBSD.
Yes they did, that one of the reason that I actually bought it. I think they still make the linux version but I never tried it up emulation.