DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

View Poll Results: what linux distro do you use and/or like?
Redhat / Centos 23 18.25%
Suse 2 1.59%
Debian 26 20.63%
Slackware 23 18.25%
Gentoo 12 9.52%
Ubuntu 20 15.87%
Others 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2009
Oliver_H's Avatar
Oliver_H Oliver_H is offline
Real Name: Oliver Herold
UNIX lover
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 429
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Default

@carpetsmoker, well you could try too g4u, http://fehu.org/~feyrer/g4u/
__________________
use UNIX or die :-)
Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009
Carpetsmoker's Avatar
Carpetsmoker Carpetsmoker is offline
Real Name: Martin
Old man from scene 24
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 198 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
@carpetsmoker, well you could try too g4u, http://fehu.org/~feyrer/g4u/
It's not the same, Norton Ghost reads NTFS filesystems and copies stuff file-by-file, ghost4unix copies sector-by-sector (like dd) and is much slower.
It also can't do things like resizing the filesystem or skipping files....
__________________
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.
Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009
jggimi's Avatar
jggimi jggimi is offline
More noise than signal
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,674
Thanked 214 Times in 189 Posts
Default

It's not *like* dd, it *is* dd.
Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009
Oliver_H's Avatar
Oliver_H Oliver_H is offline
Real Name: Oliver Herold
UNIX lover
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 429
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Default

>file-by-file

Well yes, I see this as a disadvantage. But performance-wise it's sometimes PITA.
__________________
use UNIX or die :-)
Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009
wubrgamer's Avatar
wubrgamer wubrgamer is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 34
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukov View Post
All desktop computers at work run Ubuntu. This is why I also use it as a Desktop. It just works. However, I haven't tried that much Linux distributions. For other needs, I run *BSDs.
where do you work?
Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009
evilunixuser evilunixuser is offline
Real Name: stan broniszewski
Port Guard
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new jersey, usa
Posts: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My system runs Windows XP, Mepis (a Debian based), and Dragonfly BSD.
Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010
fbsduser fbsduser is offline
Shell Scout
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 106
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Primary: Hackintosh 10.6 64bits/Linux from scratch 32bits.
Testbox: (currently) minix 3.
Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010
drhowarddrfine drhowarddrfine is offline
VPN Cryptographer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 358
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

How many years must this thread drag on? The other forum has a similar one that's been 2 years running.
Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010
Carpetsmoker's Avatar
Carpetsmoker Carpetsmoker is offline
Real Name: Martin
Old man from scene 24
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 198 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Fedora Core 4 and 13 at work.

Took some getting used to, for example I set some stuff with the setsebool command, I then searched for some config file in /etc/ to make the change permanent. Apparently the changes are saved "automagically" ... The same applies to many other commands.
It certainly does things in a very different way once you dig a bit deeper ...

Other than that, the general "desktop" experience (Which is tcsh/vim/tmux/grep/etc.) is pretty much the same ...
__________________
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.
Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014
bsd-keith bsd-keith is offline
Real Name: Keith
Linux from 1999 & now BSD
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Surrey/Hants Border, England
Posts: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Linux distros that I use are AntiX & SliTaz.
__________________
Linux since 1999, now a BSD user.
Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014
fn8t's Avatar
fn8t fn8t is offline
Real Name: Ego
Port Guard
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tao
Posts: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't use Linux anymore. If I did it would be LFS, Draco, or LSD Linux. All of them work with pkgsrc and can be setup or come stock without systemd. LSD (less systemd) comes in a KDE version and a Base version. I'd use the Base.
Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014
cynwulf cynwulf is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Used to use Debian and have been a Slackware user until recently.

The former went with systemd, the latter is still one of the few saner Linux distributions out there and is the only Linux distro I would recommend to others.

Debian's decision to go with systemd just confirmed my own suspicions that Red Hat have too much influence over the GNU/Linux eco system - and of course Canonical have too much influence over the Debian project itself. Despite developing their own init system, they were quick to also switch to systemd as soon as Debian made the announcement.

The wider problem with GNU/Linux is that it's not just about free software and GNU anymore. That seems to have gone out of fashion. Corporations now play a much bigger role.

It's interesting that the GPL licenses were supposed to be about freeing software entirely. But instead we've seen corporations simply owning or influencing the people and the projects themselves in order to control and manipulate the GPL software - (if they can't own it and close it off, then they steer it in whichever direction which suits them). systemd is just one example of a corporate backed putsch which is pretty much infesting everything.

The BSD licenses. which have been criticised by some for being too permissive, at least allows the big corporations to take what they want and leave the FOSS projects alone (unless they want to throw some money their way or donate some hardware, etc).
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 768
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Debian's decision to go with systemd just confirmed my own suspicions that Red Hat have too much influence over the GNU/Linux eco system - and of course Canonical have too much influence over the Debian project itself. Despite developing their own init system, they were quick to also switch to systemd as soon as Debian made the announcement.
etc).
When somebody contributes 85% of entire Linux kernel (like Red Hat) it seems very natural to call the shoots. The second largest contributor to Linux kernel is SUSE with more than 10%. Due to Debian's negligible contribution just like Canonical to Linux kernel it seems natural that they follow the leader. At least Canonical is footing the bill for Gnome. Debian is truly a hobby project and probably the largest contribution is that OpenSSL bug which they introduced couple of years ago to avoid compilation warrnings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
The BSD licenses. which have been criticised by some for being too permissive, at least allows the big corporations to take what they want and leave the FOSS projects alone (unless they want to throw some money their way or donate some hardware, etc).
You do not philosophically understand BSD licensing model which came out of academi and internal organization of BSDs at least until 1993.
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago
cynwulf cynwulf is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
When somebody contributes 85% of entire Linux kernel (like Red Hat)
Where did you get "85%"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
You do not philosophically understand BSD licensing model which came out of academi and internal organization of BSDs at least until 1993.
And what makes you say that based on what I posted? I only said that the BSD licenses were more "permissive" in that they are not copyleft, not as a any kind of criticism, just stating fact. I don't think that you should assume that you know what others understand / or not based on only a few forum posts...
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 768
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Where did you get "85%"?
I saw those statistics based upon Linux kernel git commits couple of years ago. I would be hard pressed to reproduce the source. I was very surprised with the fact that Debian and Canonical contribute very little to Linux kernel. As a matter of full disclosure I will state that when I have to use Linux I use only Red Hat derivatives but I honestly have no horse in Red Hat vs Debian race. My preference is not to use Linux whenever possible to use BSDs instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Where did you get "85%"?
And what makes you say that based on what I posted? I only said that the BSD licenses were more "permissive" in that they are not copyleft, not as a any kind of criticism, just stating fact. I don't think that you should assume that you know what others understand / or not based on only a few forum posts...
I appologize for the part of the post you found incorrect and offensive. Sometimes it is hard to read people just based on their posts and e-mails.

Last edited by Oko; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Carpetsmoker's Avatar
Carpetsmoker Carpetsmoker is offline
Real Name: Martin
Old man from scene 24
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 198 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
When somebody contributes 85% of entire Linux kernel (like Red Hat) it seems very natural to call the shoots.
The question of course is, are the contributions really worthwhile for the rest of the community?

The standard example of course is systemd. Many people feel the world would be a better place without it...

More code does not equal a better system.
__________________
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago
cynwulf cynwulf is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 30
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I saw those statistics based upon Linux kernel git commits couple of years ago. I would be hard pressed to reproduce the source. I was very surprised with the fact that Debian and Canonical contribute very little to Linux kernel. As a matter of full disclosure I will state that when I have to use Linux I use only Red Hat derivatives but I honestly have no horse in Red Hat vs Debian race. My preference is not to use Linux whenever possible to use BSDs instead.
According to the Linux Development report they only contributed about 10% last year: http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-contributors/

Corporations play a big role, but a single entity has never been responsible for more than about 15% of the code, let alone 85%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I appologize for the part of the post you found incorrect and offensive. Sometimes it is hard to read people just based on their posts and e-mails.
Fair enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
The question of course is, are the contributions really worthwhile for the rest of the community?
That's debatable. Most development is self serving by nature and when some individual, organisation or corporation is contributing to something like the Linux kernel, it's because they're going to benefit from it. Whether Red Hat's commits are really beneficial to the average end user, or geared mainly towards it's enterprise customers and pushing systemd remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
The canonical example of course is systemd. Many people feel the world would be a better place without it...
As much as I'd like to blame Canonical for systemd, it's a Red Hat product. Canonical's similar init system was upstart, they have recently announced that they will be abandoning it and also jumping on the systemd bandwagon.
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Carpetsmoker's Avatar
Carpetsmoker Carpetsmoker is offline
Real Name: Martin
Old man from scene 24
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Posts: 2,068
Thanked 198 Times in 156 Posts
Default

I intended 'canonical' as in the normal usage of the word, I wasn't referring to the company. I edited my previous post to remove any confusion.
__________________
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago
scottro's Avatar
scottro scottro is offline
Real Name: Scott Robbins
Spam Deminer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 302
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Darn--I got a message that there was a response, and came here to make a pun, saying, no, actually, it was RedHat, but you were too quick. :-(
Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago
PrinceCruise PrinceCruise is offline
Real Name: Prince
PrinceCruise
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Most development is self serving by nature and when some individual, organization or corporation is contributing to something like the Linux kernel, it's because they're going to benefit from it. Whether Red Hat's commits are really beneficial to the average end user, or geared mainly towards it's enterprise customers and pushing systemd remains to be seen.
This.

Regards.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding apps to an obscure OpenBSD based distro insomniadmx OpenBSD Packages and Ports 4 14th April 2009 12:10 PM
linux compat and linux-only drivers fbsduser FreeBSD General 9 22nd January 2009 05:42 PM
Own FreeBSD Distro anritsu FreeBSD Ports and Packages 10 7th October 2008 03:02 PM
linux-firefox 3 cmcgoat FreeBSD Ports and Packages 1 8th September 2008 07:06 PM
Linux Kernel map TerryP Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like 2 1st July 2008 05:33 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright © 2007-2010, the authors
Daemon image copyright ©1988, Marshall Kirk McKusick