DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
New User

Question Question regarding wireless setup

Hello all. First I would like to thank whomever made the post about relocating here due to spam issues on bsdforums. Anyway, here is what I would like to do.

I live in very close proximity to a rogue access point with a very fast internet connection. I have an old 233mhz 32mb 10G box that I will be installing Freebsd 7 on. I have an ethernet card, and a PCMCIA slot in which I will install my Orinoco 802.11b wireless card into. This wireless card has a place to plug in a "pigtail" connector into a coax cable connected to a 3 ft. grid antenna pointed in the general direction of the access point. After mounting the antenna in the attic, I plugged the PCMCIA Orinoco card in my Ubuntu laptop and the signal varies between 80-97%.

I would like to connect to the rogue access point with the orinoco card, then forward the internet connection to my router (Linksys BEFW1154 v4) via the ethernet card to use for 2 desktops that do not have wireless capabilities.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Will the setup described suffice for what I intend to do?

2.) How would I set this up from a fresh install of Freebsd 7? From what I read so far, it looks like I should use "pf"; is this true?

3.) I noticed that when I use the cordless phone in the house, my laptop loses the connection to the access point. Assuming this would happen on the box I am trying to build, I would need to ssh into it and run 'dhclient' or is there a way to automatically initiate this if the connection is lost? Once the box is up, the k/v/m will be removed due to limited space.

I am fairly new to this. I have a moderate understanding of the *nix environment/commands/vi editor and I am not afraid to RTFM/google. I am just looking to be pointed in the right direction in regards to which tools or commands would be necessary to set this up.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Andy