KDE4 on 8.1-release, unbelievably slow
I formatted my laptop that previously ran 7.2-release and installed 8.1-release. I installed KDE4 on this laptop and it is absurdly slow. Often when running nothing more than KDE4 with a single konqueror window I will see two "kdeinit" processes that together take over 50% of CPU. The KDE menu only works after the system has been up for 5 minutes or more, and then it isn't exactly fast.
KDE also gives an error about my sound card; it identifies a card but says it is not plugged in or the driver is not loaded (though xmms works fine).
At this point I'm not even sure where to begin. I installed KDE from packages (primarily because it takes forever to compile for ports on my P4).